Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It's been a long time comin'

Hi friends!

I'm stuck inside, sick on a rain day. What better to do than blog? Life has been super busy due to the fact that I am now engaged and getting married in a couple of months :) If you don't know me personally, I have known my fiance for over 9 years now and we've been together almost 3 years. He surprised me with a proposal back in November when I went to the airport to pick him up from a visit with his parents. He surprised me with all of my friends there... needless to say, it was perfect and I was shocked! Here's a picture of my lovely ring!

Anyhoo! I thought I would blog to help my creativity... I've been so busy with wedding planning, finishing up my classes (I graduate with my Bachelor's degree at the beginning of May!) and so many more things. I have a show coming up at the beginning of May and I need to start cranking out some new pieces. I've been working on an every day superheroes... I know that this has been a common theme in other work.. I've been putting my own spin on it. I've been working on pieces that talk about this new stage of life that I am going in to. All in a matter of a couple of months I will be graduating from college, getting a full-time job, getting married, learning how to be a wife and run a household, and so many other things! I've been trying to use this series to kind of work through all of my feelings about change. I'm not one that looks for change and I have a hard time dealing with it. So, I've been using images of women who are in these roles that I look up to in my work. 

I recently made a print of my mother and I that I will have to post soon (I have yet to document it). I am also working on some collagraph plates to go within this series. I want to use some clothing and cloth in my prints and found a new artist that I LOVE. Her name is Jean Shin and she is from South Korea. She uses clothing in a lot of her work in installations and prints. She uses her own clothing as a way to riff off of the usual self portrait. Here are some of her works:
With this series called Pressed, Jean literally took her own clothing, adhered it to plates, inked the plates and ran them through a press. This series makes up a kind of self-portrait and refers to pressing, laundering, and dry cleaning processes.
In the work, Jean made a wall mural using clothing from the museum staff at the MoMA. She used the flat panels of the clothing and also the seams to make this installation. This wall has clothing from people ranging from the Museum director of the museum all the way down to the janitor. To me this piece has a very unifying quality to it.
This work is called Penumbra and is made of broken umbrellas sewn together and suspended between trees. I won't get too far into this work, I just love the idea of sewing and handmade things. I also love how this artist re-purposes these items. 

Each of the pieces of fabric she uses has a sort of history and previous purpose and she takes these objects, breaks them apart and sort of re-purposes them. I believe that re-purposing to bring about new ideas is an artists' main job. Of course, artists have many jobs and goals, but I do believe this is very important. 

If you have time, take a look at her stuff for yourself: http://www.jeanshin.com/

Well, hopefully I will have some images for you soon of my new works. 

Happy Tuesday!




No comments: