Monday, August 23, 2010

.goals.

At the beginning of new things (New years, new jobs, new projects) I love to sit down and think about my goals. Well, this is the start of a brand new school year, and my last, at that. So, what would I like to accomplish this year? Well, here are some thoughts on some goals I am setting for myself (academic or otherwise)..

1. Be involved - It's been hard for me to be involved since I currently do not live on campus and am a commuter. However, I do have a flexible job this year and have the ability to volunteer at campus galleries and the big museum on campus.

2. Focus - So many times when school starts, I get super flustered and when projects are thrown at me, I cringe. This year, I believe it is my time as an artist to really flourish, try new things, and yes I will say it: FAIL. I don't want to be afraid to fail.. I want to focus on something I want and go for it.

3. Relax - I guess this goes with my failing thought.. I become very uptight when school whips through. This is my last year. These are my last two semesters. Enjoy the ride.

4. Take advantage of resources - I've been privileged to attend a university where my teachers are active members of the art community. They are vast resources for us as students. As students, we have tons of brains to pick as far as the art world goes. I want to take advantage of the teachers I have around me during this year.

5. Take care - I really need to learn how to take care of myself - mentally, physically and spiritually. If not, I am useless to the world. This means exercise, rest when I can, and do enjoyable activities. Look for the simple things in life that make us smile. There are lots of little things out there...

6. Paint sunset clouds - Random, I know, but sunset clouds are my favorite thing. The sky is the most vibrant, electrifying, bursting thing I've ever seen... during the day, the sky is bright, neon blue and when the sun is setting, the event causes the clouds to take on this sort of bubble gum, cotton candy pink quality.

Alright, here's to a new school year! I'm sure I won't always be so focused on these goals, but they will be here to remind me...

Here are some clouds I found while Googling clouds. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're amazing :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica! It's Ashley from USF, I definitely understand your goals because a lot of them are mine as well. I need to relax and realize that every project does not have to be perfect, it just has to be well thought out and I just have to work hard on it. I don't need to completely freak myself out over "impressing" others, I just need to be myself and do what I love, because in the end that's what is essentially important. I've realized that in the past, the projects that I am most relaxed for have been the best. Once I start freaking out, that's when everything goes downhill fast. I'm so glad to have collagraph with you this semester! Now we just have to try to have fun and not freak out at all! :D It's funny because that class stressed me out unbelievably while I was in it, but now I can't wait to get back at it. I think it might have been some of the best and most meaningful artwork I've produced outside of photography.

Theresa said...

Awesome writing Jessica!! You are off to a great start in recognizing the importance of visualizing and writing our goals. Goals that can be read can become more attainable, it allows you an opportunity to see them, measure where you are and make adjustments as needed. It also holds you accountable to them!!
Have a great year in school! I am a big fan of your works!!