Tuesday, August 24, 2010

.source.influence.style.

Alright, so first day of school. Almost over. Just one more class to go. I have extremely long breaks today between classes with nothing to do.. oh wait! I have a blog! So, recap thus far... went to my Printmaking class today... it was good to be back in the printmaking world.. and I also went to my drawing class right after that. Nothing unusual. Just the regular, here's the syllabus, don't be late, here's your mile long list of supplies... but my drawing class really got me to thinking...

The first exercise we did in class today was to start with three sheets of paper. The instructions given for the first sheet of paper were to draw an object in class.. any object we wanted for 10 minutes. I feverishly drew a wooden step stool (when I say feverishly, I mean I was stressed... my brain was firing so many instructions: remember how to measure your angles! remember how to calculate proportion! watch the clock! keep moving! it doesn't have to be perfect! make this look three-dimensional! but I was ok... it looked half descent). We were then instructed to pass this image we masterfully copied down to one of our neighbors to copy. The goal was to copy the image already drawn, not the object itself. This continued one last time to make three images. This exercise was used to show us three main ideas: what is a source? what is an influence? what is style? These three ideas are what our class will be pondering the whole semester.

What sources do I draw from in my art? What are some of my influences? And in the end, how does this all effect my style or "hand" in my creating as an artist?

By the end of the semester, I must answer this (or get some sort of answer or get some direction toward an answer).

So, we'll see how the semester goes! These two classes will be the meat of my work and energy, so I will post mostly about these two classes and my progress... until my next post, here are some influences or sources of mine.



Wayne Thiebaud. 

Jenny Saville. 

Giorgio Morandi.


Alfred Hitchcock.

I'm sure this list will grow and become more refined as time passes, but here are my thoughts. Happy Tuesday!

No comments: