Sunday, August 22, 2010

.new adventures.

So, this has kind of become a forgotten blog for me. It actually started as a class project in college and after the class, I let it go... Well, not anymore! I am now currently in my last year of college and have decided this blog will be a great way to kind of work through my ideas and inspirations and especially challenges. I currently don't have a way to upload images easily, but once school starts I will have a better computer and will be regularly updating here with sketches and notes.

This summer I had the wonderful chance to go to New York for the first time and see the Museum of Modern Art, The Guggenheim, and I also visited the Barnes Foundation in Philadelphia. Of course, the New York museums were wonderful, and I must say too much to take in for just ONE DAY, however, the most remarkable "museum" that we had the chance to see was by far the Barnes Foundation. There is a lot of controversy flying around this landmark in Philadelphia, but I am so glad we had the chance to see it in its original state before it is moved into the city of Philadelphia. You can read more about the Barnes Foundation here. This entry would be too long if I explained all of the history behind this great place, but I will give a summary. All of the artwork in the building is arranged and best described as a "salon style". Paintings and drawings line the walls and the way up to the ceiling and are arranged around chairs, desks, and numerous other housewares. The founder, Albert C. Barnes established the Barnes Foundation to "promote the advancement of education and the appreciation of the fine arts." We learned that both music and art classes were held in this building and the art the adorned the wall was organized to enhance these art classes. It was just a really cool experience!

Needless to say, I had a great summer and saw lots of great art! Tomorrow, the craziness of school begins once again! I am excited to be around my fellow classmates and artists once more as I begin my final two semesters. More to come!

No comments: